KOMPAN U.S. is looking for a Designer 1, to layout fitness and playground projects compliant to code requirements, create documentation for permitting and installation, and work with product designers to customize equipment to client needs.
Designs will create an engaging and imaginative environment through product selection, customization, juxtaposition, and surface design on projects across the North American region, ensuring the experience of KOMPAN's 3 tenants of the play: Stay, Wow, Develop.
This position will collaborate closely with other departments such as Pre-Sales, Project Coordination, and Install teams, as well as on site colleagues working in the field as Project Managers and Sales Representatives.
As a global leader with an organizational focus on people, passion, progress, and performance, our mission is to create healthier and happier communities by delivering the best in play and fitness solutions. We’re KOMPAN - let’s play!
Who We Are
For more than 50 years, KOMPAN has researched, designed, and built innovative and imaginative commercial playground equipment and outdoor fitness sites that captivate all ages and abilities.
In collaboration with our global headquarters in Denmark, KOMPAN designs, manufactures, and installs more than 1,000 sites a month across 90 different countries. Our North American headquarters, located in Austin, Texas, supports field sales around the U.S. and Canada.
At KOMPAN, we take pride in our commitment to the global environment. We exceed sustainability efforts and make it possible to lower carbon emissions by utilizing recycled ocean waste, consumer-recycled plastics, and textile wastes to create playgrounds that are born green or made green.
What You’ll Do
· Create shop drawings/site plans detailing layout, permitting, and installation requirements that are compliant to ASTM, CPSC, ADA, or CSA
· Use equipment selection, customization, juxtaposition and surfacing design to tell stories and build engaging experiences
· Communicate and collaborate with Sales Representatives, Quoting, and Installation departments as well as Product Designers at home office to design projects to client specifications on time and on budget
· Work within a regional group of designers to coordinate work and project responsibilities
· Assess preliminary project layouts for code compliance
· Create visually compelling presentations that tell a story about proposed design solutions
· Occasionally present design solutions to clients or end users
What You’ll Need
- Proficiency in AutoCAD (or experience with Rhino, Revit, ArchiCAD, Microsystems, or similar CAD software), Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher in an applicable field including landscape architecture, landscape design, interior design, architectural design, etc.
- Experience in landscape architecture, landscape design, interior design, architectural design, playground design, amusement park design, waterpark design, etc. is preferred
- Experience applying code or technical constraints to design solutions
- Familiarity with reading site plans and designing in topographically challenging situations
- Ability to work effectively, both independently and in a team environment
- Strong communication and organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects at once
- An online portfolio that demonstrates strong design and visualization skills
- Be able to develop and communicate a project design narrative through compelling presentations
- Experience working with clients preferred
- Passion for creating amazing playgrounds
This is a hybrid position based in Austin, TX.
Perks and Benefits
· Comprehensive medical, vision, and dental plans
· Employer-paid life and disability insurance
· 401(k) retirement plan with company match
· Competitive PTO and robust holiday schedule
KOMPAN is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, age, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. All employment is based on qualifications, merit, and business needs.
Tell a friendSee other jobs